Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    A civilian has far more opportunities to advance his knowledge and experience if they choose to. You have the time and resources to study much deeper than the minimum requirements. I read engineering/design books and studied composite structures. Everyone else just studied the test question pool, whenever they weren't smoking cigarettes. Guess what, those guys were considered better mechanics by the standards of the group. I was also working on a PPL at the same time. There is no way a low ranking soldier has time to do that. At the lowest level, A&P school will pass anyone who shows up. Showing up when you don't have to weeds out most of but not all of the poorest mechanics. The job market is just that and it has always been crowded for A&Ps. I'm a civilian who blames the Military, if I were Military I'm sure it would be the fault of all those worthless civilians.
    KB you have no clue on how the military woks. While I will agree that is some aspects the military technician is limited with scope of knowledge that varies widely and depends of the branch of service. The military also encourages/requires a higher level of education if you want to get promoted. not only do you have to get type specific schooling and OJT for each aircraft you work but they expect you to get at least a bachelors degree. on top of that the FARs are specific to your AFSC/MOS and what qualifications you get. beyond that you have to demonstrate to the FAA you 18 months of additional OJT to the other half of the license.
    “Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Your ability to discipline yourself to set clear goals, and then to work toward them every day, will do more to guarantee your success than any other single factor.” ~ Brian Tracy

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by jetmechabq View Post
    KB you have no clue on how the military woks. While I will agree that is some aspects the military technician is limited with scope of knowledge that varies widely and depends of the branch of service. The military also encourages/requires a higher level of education if you want to get promoted. not only do you have to get type specific schooling and OJT for each aircraft you work but they expect you to get at least a bachelors degree. on top of that the FARs are specific to your AFSC/MOS and what qualifications you get. beyond that you have to demonstrate to the FAA you 18 months of additional OJT to the other half of the license.
    My current employer hired a bunch of AF and Marine E6 and E7s, non of those guys had a bachelors or even a PPL. You're right in that I have no clue about the internal workings of the Military. I have known and worked closely with dozens of 4-20yr guys and have seen their strengths and limitations. After some time on the job any differences in previous knowledge and experience fade almost completely. The most clever mechanic I ever met was a trained engineer who liked to build things. Let me add, a lot of guys would NOT have got their A&P if the Military hadn't put them on an aircraft first. This is the artificial oversupply that has been depressing wages for mechanics since the beginning.
    Last edited by kevbo; 05-01-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I know numerous, much higher educated, individuals making less $ than the average A&P. People have to feed their families and accept a lower pay than they really might desire, that isn't limited to aircraft mechanics. And you have added PPL to the argument... now I see where your ego comes from
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 05-01-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thank God he is gone. I asked to have him removed. The complaining about the military and then claiming they are too dumb to be mechanics was enough for me. Good riddance!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    I And you have added PPL to the argument...
    OK, either it is too early or my mind is just mud, PPL = Private Pilot License or ????

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    OK, either it is too early or my mind is just mud, PPL = Private Pilot License or ????
    That is the only thing I know it stands for.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    That is the only thing I know it stands for.
    Thanks, Google has a long listing but it made sense.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Or Power Plants license, but I think you are correct.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

I THINK A GAL I DATED HAD ppl

lol

sTEVE

Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Is there a vaccination for that ???

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast