Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Aviation is a volatile industry. I've worked for a half dozen or more employers, none of which are still in business....at least as they were originally organized. That said, I have been luckier than a lot of folks.

For a younger person, relocating or starting a new job might not be such a problem, however uprooting your family, finding housing, schools etc. can be highly stressful. Nowadays, a cut in pay may go with a finding a new job. Often, there is only one game in town, so moving is the only choice, unless you change careers.

The higher paying jobs tend to be in places where the cost of living is high. If you get into this line of work strictly for the paycheck, you probably will be disappointed. A guest speaker at an aviation trade show once commented " I have never seen so many people work so hard for so little" 'Nuff' said.

Certainly, there are folks out there who have found that perfect niche, but that doesn't happen much, at least in the long run. When the airlines rearranged themselves a few years ago, a lot of people were burned, especially the senior guys. Not hard to understand why they are bitter. The big carriers now outsource a great deal of the maintenance to contractors. If your employer loses the contract, down the road you go.

Aircraft mechanics are very critical of work they did not do. Ever hear a doctor criticize another ? All we're doing is bringing down the entire group.
    We have no organization to represent us in Washington. ALPA,AOPA, EAA all do. They don't have our interests in mind. Regulations and enforcement have gotten tougher. Even if you never do anything wrong, you can end up in court. Who will defend you? If A&P's don't stick together, conditions won't change.

It is amazing, that in some companies, an A&P works far more hours for far less pay than a pilot. Why is that ?
    Subsidizing someone else's lifestyle rubs me the wrong way. The Mech's deserve better.

The employers have exploited military personnel for years. Finding a job fresh out of the service can be difficult, to say the least. Those with VA health benefits, maybe a pension or a working spouse find themselves in a position where they may settle for less than the job is worth. The aviation magazine's have been shouting mechanic shortage for 50 years now. Pay them & they will come.

All that being said, I found it to be a fascinating career and it certainly was never boring. Being adaptable and versatile along with perseverance are probably the most important traits needed to succeed.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Lots of truth to what you wrote. It's been ok to me, certainly done better than a lot with a high school education.

S
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Agree. I know a lot of people that have bachelor's degrees and not doing as well as this guy with no degree.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456