Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default From One Mechanic To Another.

Ah. How time has flown. I first posted here about 4 years ago, when I was just thinking about getting my hands dirty and learning to be a mechanic. I've worked for my present company for 2 and 1/2 years. This last 6 months have been really difficult and challenging. I've learned more about the 145 and paperwork than I ever thought I could learn in just 6 -8 months. I took a position as an aircraft scheduler, on a brand new dock line, with brand new cc's and mostly new mechanics, fresh out of school. It was quite the catastrophe, but I felt like I was doing great. Everyone said so. So much praise for auditing the paperwork so meticulously and counseling the mechanics for their errors, teaching them the correct way to sign and the importance of a follow on task. I'm also sheet metal so not only did I do my job, but I aided s/m with signing for contractor work (nothing like signing for people who can't sign for themselves.) and closing major repairs. I was constantly overworked because if I didn't know the answer, I wanted to, not just for the mechanic asking, but because I loved my stressful job and I loved teaching those around me. Past tense. New supervisor, new scheduler on opposite shift, and now I'm being told I'm picking on the other shift ( when I address poor sign offs, work not accomplished when signed for, part paperwork filled out incomplete or wrong.) I'm doing the exact work I was before, but I'm making everyone around look bad. If I can catch all of these errors, then why can't everyone else who have over 15 years more experience? The shittiest thing too is I'm being branded as a bully. I promise I have always been kind to a mechanic, and I do not single out anyone. I find an error, if it's minute I fix it, if it occurs by the same person 5x in one night, it makes no sense not to counsel him or her.
    I'm venting but I'm also seeking advice. I try to tell my people in command what we need to function but I'm told by everyone to just ignore the errors I see. Not my A&P in the block. But it's literally my job to audit the paperwork! If I see crappy maintenance, we need to retrain that guy cuz he's not getting it. I feel like my opposite scheduler can do his job, my QC can do his, and my cc to what ever extent they so please and get an attaboy, but if I do it, I'm going way too far in depth. And it's so mind numbingly frustrating for me ya'll. As a new mechanic one part of me wants to please the men around me because they have experience and they've been here, and the other side of me is screaming bruh, this shit is for the birds. Should I hit it hard and keep doing the job that I was hailed for only 3 months ago or just step down. I've tried just ignoring all of the errors hoping the next audit catches it so that I'm not portrayed as such a whiney lil kid but it makes me want to punch a wall and I am not about this stress and aggression. And at the same time I realize I have to plant my feet when things are rough, but I've crumpled away from that theology from personal experiences in the last year. I'm ready to throw in the towel, but I'm still ready to fight too. I just want feedback. I'm young and I don't know when to stand my ground or just start looking elsewhere.

For sure I'll never complain about mapping hail damage again. Way easier than aircraft scheduling.
    "Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas." - A.E.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Welcome to the MRO life.

I wish I could say yours is a unique experience.
    Basically they want you to do all the paperwork, don't complain about the mechanics and sign when you have to. Bad culture sounds like. Its really your choice, but it sounds like you need a better job. You are way to new to be stuck doing paperwork you should find a regional or an airline and start your career for real.

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

You hit that head on Steve. It was one thing to do it correctly, it's a whole other level to understand what's critical and what's scuff. I know I can't expect perfection, but every error seems important to me. Toxic culture for sure.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Differences in management style. The first guy wanted to make a difference and hold people accountable. Second guy, fast fast fast ignore the small stuff and who are you to question stuff type of guy. I wrote MANY articles during my year at an MRO, not trying to judge people who make a career of it, but I hated it bad.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    You hit that head on Steve. It was one thing to do it correctly, it's a whole other level to understand what's critical and what's scuff. I know I can't expect perfection, but every error seems important to me. Toxic culture for sure.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    If the paperwork isn't correct, the job isnt. My job in QC isnt to make friends, its to keep us safe and legal. I do try to find balance and not sweating the small stuff, it can be difficult. Is what you are doing a career position, or is it time to move on?
    Follow the FAAs lead. What cant be seen must be good. They have applied this philosophy to ALL work sent out of the country!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Follow the FAAs lead. What cant be seen must be good. They have applied this philosophy to ALL work sent out of the country!
    The majority of the time all the FAA sees is the paperwork. If it's wrong or incomplete, the job is wrong or incomplete, period.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Kasey, the one thing you need to remember is, who is going to hang if the shit hits the fan? If it's your signature, it needs to be up to your standards, or don't sign. There isn't a damn thing they can do to you as long as you are within the regs. Following the rules and regulations will get you far. I run into the same thing here where I work. Some of these guys write worse than 1st graders, and most have a hard time reading and understanding. My suggestion to you is continue on, but study and take your I.A. exam. Then move on. To me, you sound like someone who should be in the Quality Assurance side.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    You need to stop trying to give people advice on this board, PERIOD!