Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polished props

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Polished props

I have a couple of planes I annual which have polished propellers. I'm not sure when the paint was removed and the props were polished but that is their current state (both Cessna 182's). I know that if I ever take them to a prop shop they will come back painted. My question is will the fact that they are not painted cause the owners any problems when they do go in for overhaul? I've considered pressing them to have the props inspected by the prop shop. Neither have been disassembled for at least 5 years. I would like to get the props painted so I don't have to worry about the issue.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

You're an IA, and you're asking that?
    I would ask this question on POA (Pilots of America) website. Ive seen similar questions asked and quite a few owners have had experience with that.
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 03-07-2018 at 03:30 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Default Good question

Good question, I was told that it is no longer permissible to polish propellers. It is insane to me, however. If the plane is part 91 and the prop meets specs, I am not sure I would make a stink about it.
    Look at AC-20-37E

Name:  IMG_0176.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  20.1 KB
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DKandle View Post
    I have a couple of planes I annual which have polished propellers. I'm not sure when the paint was removed and the props were polished but that is their current state (both Cessna 182's). I know that if I ever take them to a prop shop they will come back painted. My question is will the fact that they are not painted cause the owners any problems when they do go in for overhaul? I've considered pressing them to have the props inspected by the prop shop. Neither have been disassembled for at least 5 years. I would like to get the props painted so I don't have to worry about the issue.
    Last edited by Steve340; 03-07-2018 at 06:57 AM.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Good question, ..., I am not sure I would make a stink about it.
    Look at AC-20-37E

Name:  IMG_0176.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  20.1 KB
    Steve
    I am familiar with the AC. However, I recently attended a meeting where a rep from American Propeller spoke and he clearly said that they will not overhaul a polished prop because it has been operated in a "non airworthy" condition. Perhaps he was just exaggerating the situation for effect, but that is what he said. It would be a disaster to send in a perfectly good prop and have it deemed not repairable.
    The AC states "If the original design had corrosion protection and the instructions for continued airworthiness call for corrosion protection, then the corrosion protection should be maintained to those instructions. " It says "should" not "shall" so I don't believe that the AP rep correctly states the real situation. But I think I will ask the prop shop before I send one to them.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Why would you be sending a perfectly good prop out?

"Should" is defined as "to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness".

The FAA defines "shall" and "may" as they are used in regulations.
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 03-07-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Why are we giving this guy a hard time? "You're an IA, and you're asking that?"

This person came here to ask an honest question. How about we don't give em shit for it. Not everyone is a master mechanic like you GlennAB1.

There are plenty of prop shops that will keep the polish. You will just need to do some leg work and get in writing they will keep it after overhaul. Even fixed pitch props need overhauled every once in a while. 10 years of dressing the edge will drag down your performance.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Jmann View Post
    Why are we giving this guy a hard time? "You're an IA, and you're asking that?"

This person came here to ask an honest question. How about we don't give em shit for it. Not everyone is a master mechanic like you GlennAB1.

There are plenty of prop shops that will keep the polish. You will just need to do some leg work and get in writing they will keep it after overhaul. Even fixed pitch props need overhauled every once in a while. 10 years of dressing the edge will drag down your performance.
    I agree with all of the above statements

Years ago I was working on a new to the area 150 that would barely make min static power, the owner also complained about a vibration we convinced him to send it out, the result was vibration gone, and it easily made the min static power and he was happy.

To me there are 2 ways to look at this, 1 is the rules say it is wrong so it is wrong, the other, is it corroded? is it damaged? does it affect safety? if these are no and it is privately registered i would leave it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by CBAME View Post
    Years ago I was working on a new to the area 150 that would barely make min static power, the owner also complained about a vibration we convinced him to send it out, the result was vibration gone, and it easily made the min static power and he was happy.
    Where's the "perfectly good prop" in this scenario?
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 03-08-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Even fixed pitch props need overhauled every once in a while. 10 years of dressing the edge will drag down your performance.
    Where's the perfectly good prop" in this scenario?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

There are plenty of prop shops that will keep the polish. You will just need to do some leg work and get in writing they will keep it after overhaul.
    When you choose to maintain aircraft in an other that manufacturer prescribed condition that is pretty much your only option, find somebody else willing to assume liability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast