Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polished props

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Jmann View Post
    Why are we giving this guy a hard time? "You're an IA, and you're asking that?"

This person came here to ask an honest question.
    Person has been a member for a year, like work, If you can't handle some ribbing, move along.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Where's the "perfectly good prop" in this scenario?
    i was backing up the claim that even fixed pitch props need an overhaul after years of dressing out nicks. although looking at this nicely painted prop you would suspect it had a problem until the complaint about vibration came but that also might have been solved by balancing it

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by DKandle View Post
    I am familiar with the AC. However, I recently attended a meeting where a rep from American Propeller spoke and he clearly said that they will not overhaul a polished prop because it has been operated in a "non airworthy" condition. Perhaps he was just exaggerating the situation for effect, but that is what he said. It would be a disaster to send in a perfectly good prop and have it deemed not repairable.
    The AC states "If the original design had corrosion protection and the instructions for continued airworthiness call for corrosion protection, then the corrosion protection should be maintained to those instructions. " It says "should" not "shall" so I don't believe that the AP rep correctly states the real situation. But I think I will ask the prop shop before I send one to them.
    I'm sure the manufacturer knows their product better than anyone. Could it be that removing the paint exposes the metal to elements that cause damage not visible to the naked eye, possibly on a microscopic level, and that doesn't become apparent for some time In operation?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12