Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Help Military Mech seeking advice

Hey fellas, Iím currently serving in Air Force as a crew chief. I have 5 years experience in aircraft maintenance, and Iíve done a little bit of everything. What would be the best way for someone like me to get into the industry. Iím trying to get my A&P license before I get out. Any advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Welcome!
    An A&P, and USAF experience, it should be easy to get in. What have you worked on?
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 03-15-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks! Iím a refueled/bomber mechanic. I have experience on KC-135 and currently the E-3 (AWACS) which is the Boeing 707 platform. Iíve been trying to find jobs at the airport where iím mobing back to but I canít find any information on MX shops there.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Boeing experience is definitely a plus! Where is it you are moving back to?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

If you have not already talked to the FAA get as many senior NCO's and OIC to write letters describing the work you did, as in hydraulics, electrics, engines, sheetmetal etc... That's how I got my authorization to test without going to school.

Before going MRO apply to EVERY Major and FedX and UPS.

Thanks for signing up

S
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Iím moving to Lexington KY. And I already have the documented required experience signed by my commanding officer. I just have to take the documents to the local FAA reps in my area to get the approval to take the tests. Here in Oklahoma City they have a program where you go to the airport and take a two week prep course for the exam as well.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I recommend taking a prep course also.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Copy that GlennAB1 and STEVE340. My question is is it best to try to get on with an airline or a company like fed e, UPS ETC, or a smaller company that do MX on Smaller aircraft such as Cessna, Beechcraft, king air etc...? And do all airlines have maintainers at every airport or is MX for those aircraft handle for independent MX companies like AAR??

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by ssgt_lanced View Post
    Copy that GlennAB1 and STEVE340. My question is is it best to try to get on with an airline or a company like fed e, UPS ETC, or a smaller company that do MX on Smaller aircraft such as Cessna, Beechcraft, king air etc...? And do all airlines have maintainers at every airport or is MX for those aircraft handle for independent MX companies like AAR??
    Depends. Fedex seems to do very little contract MX as does UPS. The airlines are a large mixture of direct employees, contract and subsidiary airline mx. Main line MX is where it's at if you're looking for security and a decent pay check

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I've worked for a passenger airline and freight airline. Love freighters. Lexington must be home? Probably not the best paying jobs there (commuter/feeder airlines) but, it's not far from some of the best paying, most secure, aviation maintenance action, ie, FedEx in Indianapolis and Memphis, UPS in Louisville.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast