Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Horiz Stab doubler, Whats this part ? 1976 180 Skywagon

Hi Guys.
    A friends doubler was an old "un approved" patch in the Horiz Stab spar. Is that right ? It can't be patched ? I'm not familiar but looked up the description and only found a 172 doubler patch is OK. which is much longer and both ends have an angle about 30 degrees up laying flat. He didn't have the repair estimate but said it was expensive to replace the spar. Can you patch it? Does any one know what the big spar cost to replace ? Thanks much.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-180 spar repair patch.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	4320
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wingnut; 04-02-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Well,

That's a horrid patch. Is it steel? Looks to be rusting. The mushy rivets are especially nice.

Ok, now that I've been a smartass, the holes drilled are a huge issue as they follow no pattern and seem to exceed the edge distance in some cases. Also looks like a crack in the radius at the lower right of this picture.

Spar shouldn't be that expensive and probably 15 to 20 hours to replace it, this level of disassembly probably means your gonna have to cherry half the lower skin. and usually more broken stuff as you inspect. All in all fun job. Probably for less you can buy a used one.

BUT if he wants to fix this one, would be a cool job to do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cessna-180-...-/252114479430

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Hi Guys.
    A friends doubler was an old "un approved" patch in the Horiz Stab spar. Is that right ? It can't be patched ? I'm not familiar but looked up the description and only found a 172 doubler patch is OK. which is much longer and both ends have an angle about 30 degrees up laying flat. He didn't have the repair estimate but said it was expensive to replace the spar. Can you patch it? Does any one know what the big spar cost to replace ? Thanks much.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-180 spar repair patch.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	4320
    Last edited by Steve340; 04-02-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Guessing that it's "unapproved" for several reasons, even if Its allowed to be patched. It's a major repair, and maybe there is no record of it being done, and, it's horrid, which is why it wasn't documented.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thank You, Wouldn't a guy clean it before sending a picture ?
    The used one sounds good but they said it's being replaced already.
    I read in flight structural failures of a low time 180's are rare. I Used to get NTSB reports, Its strange out there.
    Maybe an old ugly patch is better than the unknown crack. They were doing the up gross so its part way there. This forum is nice to find guys to donate advice,
    You guys are great
    Last edited by wingnut; 04-05-2018 at 07:43 PM.