Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Commuting: How Far for a Job?

As a former Delta tech who has turned my Atlanta home into a crash pad, currently housing a majority of mechanics, I am very curious to know just how far people will travel for a job. Airline folks have an airline at their disposal, so they are a special case. What about folks without that benefit, such as private, independent mechanics/technicians? How far would you travel? If you stayed overnight, would you just do a hotel or would a crash pad be your thing? Any thoughts are appreciated. ☺

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

I work for an Airline, and as you know flying Strand By sucks ass. But I know guys who work for Endeavor who commute across the country on a 7 and 7 schedule that get positive space each way for the commute, as well as per diem and hotels paid.

For me, if its an interesting side job across the country, it better be DAMN good money and everything paid.
    As far as commuting for a 25 dollar an hour job, 3 hours away max.

My Gig now in in EYW, my backup station is FLL if this goes south

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

i drive almost 2hrs each way.. not how i expected life job in city my house is in ended in layoff, housing market in city where new job is located is too high, yeah i spend a lot of time in my car. now i work for a good company and have recent health issues so i am kinda stuck

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I know guys that commute across the globe, doing 60 on and 60 off in Dubai and the middle east. I myself would never do that, I don't care how much they are paying. I am not willing to gamble my life to work in a country where they want to cut your head off.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Are you working in San Francisco? Things are really screwed up there. I can't see how any CEO would thoughtfully choose that location for a hub or headquarters. It screws the frontline workers.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

They don't give a crap about the workers, cheap labor for a lot of companys, most live in Oakland or close by. So in a only money matters world, its a great plan.

I don't even think Fed X Workers can live to the fullest advantage with their well earned 6 digit pay in that area.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Strategizer View Post
    Are you working in San Francisco? Things are really screwed up there. I can't see how any CEO would thoughtfully choose that location for a hub or headquarters. It screws the frontline workers.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Strategizer View Post
    United has been there forever.