Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

As a rule, a Govt job pays the best and has the best benefits. Just depends on what or where your looking.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jbliss1040 View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions concerning Federal vs Private aviation jobs? Pay, benefits, advancement, work environment, etc...?
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

After I left the Air Force I worked as a maintenance contractor. Great money. Plenty of overtime and good benefits. But no stability.

About 6 years in I was able to get custody of my daughter. So I got a government job. Pay is about the same. But the overtime is rare. Benefits are not as good. But you get stability and a nice pension after 30 years.

The hardest part of being a Federal employee is the employees that you canít fire. You just shuffle them around from shop to shop. Till the cause enough problems and are sent somewhere else.

So it depends upon what you want. Iím going back to being a contractor in 6 months. Canít wait.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

[what kind of contracting?

Iíve never heard of one that has excellent benefits, or 1.5 rate overtime.

Maybe things have changed in the last 3 years.
    I used to use people from Launch and STS as well as other companies. Hourly was good, but no 1.5 overtime and the benefit package was crazy expensive and not that good.

Steve

QUOTE=MC5Wes;26865]After I left the Air Force I worked as a maintenance contractor. Great money. Plenty of overtime and good benefits. But no stability.

About 6 years in I was able to get custody of my daughter. So I got a government job. Pay is about the same. But the overtime is rare. Benefits are not as good. But you get stability and a nice pension after 30 years.

The hardest part of being a Federal employee is the employees that you canít fire. You just shuffle them around from shop to shop. Till the cause enough problems and are sent somewhere else.

So it depends upon what you want. Iím going back to being a contractor in 6 months. Canít wait.[/QUOTE]
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Jbliss1040 View Post
    Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself and maybe get some advice on job hunting. I am just completing an Avionics Maintenance Technology certificate program in Charleston, SC. I just obtained my FCC license and GROL, and am planning to take the AET this summer. With only a couple months left, I am starting my search for a job in avionics to start gaining experience. I have some management experience (sales and retail), but I decided to change career paths. I also was a submarine sonar technician in the Navy several years back. Any advice on where to look for a foot in the door? Or places to avoid? I am open to moving out of Charleston for the right job, preferably to OKC or Texas. Iíve also seen a bunch of job postings in Savannah, GA that offer per diem if I commute, but Iím not sure what those jobs are like. I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
    https://www.pae.com/career

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Steve
    The contracting I did was with the big companies like M1 Services, DynCorp, PAE. Not STS or Strom.

My last civilian job was with Raytheon out of Madison MS. Which is now run by L3. They had a good matching 401. Excellent Medical and the pay had to match that of Federal Employees for the area.

I retire from Federal Service here in California in December. Driving back to Orlando. Hang with the old people and my parents at the Villages. Hopefully someone will need an avionics guy.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Since this thread is already here I'll ask my question here.
    As an A&P mechanic, is it worth it to get the FCC licence for avionics?
    The replies I get from people I know are really mixed, so I'd like to get more input.
    Well I get higher pay as an A&P with it or should I just continue focusing on my A&P experience.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

It depends, if you plan on working somewhere that requires it, then of course, you have to get it, and any extra documented training does look good on a resume. But, generally speaking I'd say no, there is no pay benifit for an already A&P to get it, there could be exceptions.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    It depends, if you plan on working somewhere that requires it...
    That is if the employer requires it. There is no added "privilege" or sign off or authority in aviation maintenance having it. I'm sure Glenn meant that, just throwing in my 2 cents worth. I wish the ASTM/NCATT Aircraft Electronics Technician (AET) Standard had really received more industry support. Or another standard.
    "My life experience tells me that people talk about other people for one of four reasons: because youíre dying, because youíre dead, because youíre one of the best in your field, or because youíre one of the worst. My question for you is, why donít I hear people talking about you?Ē Jason Dahl to Capt Mark Hoog

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Correct.

I never felt the need to get it. When I was in maintenance, I worked flight line and then hangar heavy maintenance for airlines, my USAF Avionics training and experience sufficed enough that frequently A&P's asked, "where'd you learn that?"

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

The FCC GROL is just resume eye candy for almost everybody in aviation maintenance.

If you repair radios on the bench then you will probably need one.

It’s easy to get. All the questions from the test are online. Take a couple of computer tests and it’s yours for life.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...k-menu-block-4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast