Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

The FCC was a requirement for Northwest employment, and might be for Delta

They used to have a class by the NWA guys to pass it in DTW.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Since this thread is already here I'll ask my question here.
    As an A&P mechanic, is it worth it to get the FCC licence for avionics?
    The replies I get from people I know are really mixed, so I'd like to get more input.
    Well I get higher pay as an A&P with it or should I just continue focusing on my A&P experience.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Saw this over the weekend
    FAA accepts AEA's petition to recognize AET certification
    LEE'S SUMMIT, MISSOURI, Jan. 7, 2019 -- In response to an October 2018 petition by the Aircraft Electronics Association, the Federal Aviation Administration has formally recognized ASTM's National Center for Aerospace and Transportation Technologies (NCATT) Aircraft Electronics Technician (AET) certification as equivalent to formal training when showing eligibility for the issuance of a repairman certificate.
    As a result of the petition, NCATT AET certification plus one additional NCATT avionics endorsement is now considered equivalent to completing formal training that is acceptable to the administrator as required by the regulations.
    Well, it looks like it is good for something now, if you were looking for a repairman certificate. Otherwise, not as yet.

East TN [insert "Theme From Deliverance" here]
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    The FCC was a requirement for Northwest employment, and might be for Delta

They used to have a class by the NWA guys to pass it in DTW.

Steve

This is real interesting.

. As of Circa '13, there was a State Tech School Memphis TN, offering Avionics training.

Graduates also exitted with an FCC Technician rating.

At the time it was under TN 'tcat' system. Don't know if it still exists.

If anyone is "in the loop" on this kind of training please advise.

Just cause I got a "permanently" broken wrist, I aint standing down.

It's time to ramp up the skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    Saw this over the weekend

Well, it looks like it is good for something now, if you were looking for a repairman certificate. Otherwise, not as yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MC5Wes View Post
    The FCC GROL is just resume eye candy for almost everybody in aviation maintenance.

If you repair radios on the bench then you will probably need one.

Itís easy to get. All the questions from the test are online. Take a couple of computer tests and itís yours for life.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...k-menu-block-4
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Correct.

I never felt the need to get it. When I was in maintenance, I worked flight line and then hangar heavy maintenance for airlines, my USAF Avionics training and experience sufficed enough that frequently A&P's asked, "where'd you learn that?"
    Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    That is if the employer requires it. There is no added "privilege" or sign off or authority in aviation maintenance having it. I'm sure Glenn meant that, just throwing in my 2 cents worth. I wish the ASTM/NCATT Aircraft Electronics Technician (AET) Standard had really received more industry support. Or another standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Since this thread is already here I'll ask my question here.
    As an A&P mechanic, is it worth it to get the FCC licence for avionics?
    The replies I get from people I know are really mixed, so I'd like to get more input.
    Well I get higher pay as an A&P with it or should I just continue focusing on my A&P experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    I am not an avionics guy, but some guys here are. I guess the first question I have is a Line, swap boxes avionics guy? or one of the guys that can work on the boxes? Huge difference, also huge difference in possibilities.

If its the Avionics Line type, where you understand Avionics and such, the best possibility is a Commuter Airline who hires Non A&P Avionics guys. A super strong backround /knowledge of electrical troubleshooting. principles, and wiring methods are invaluable. Some Avionics guys are simply A&P's with a better than average knowledge of everything electrical. 80% of A&P's could not use a complex schematic and find a bad wire on a 767 to save their lives.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbliss1040 View Post
    Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself and maybe get some advice on job hunting. I am just completing an Avionics Maintenance Technology certificate program in Charleston, SC. I just obtained my FCC license and GROL, and am planning to take the AET this summer. With only a couple months left, I am starting my search for a job in avionics to start gaining experience. I have some management experience (sales and retail), but I decided to change career paths. I also was a submarine sonar technician in the Navy several years back. Any advice on where to look for a foot in the door? Or places to avoid? I am open to moving out of Charleston for the right job, preferably to OKC or Texas. Iíve also seen a bunch of job postings in Savannah, GA that offer per diem if I commute, but Iím not sure what those jobs are like. I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
    ..:!:.. who is John Galt? ..:!:.. freind of Bill W. 5/21/1988

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123