Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Not an A&P, Yet.

Hello everyone.

I am looking to get my A&P without a student loan. I know it will take 30 months, rather than 18, but there are no community colleges that offer it near me. Spartan is the closest school with a program, at a cost of $42K. I've done the whole college and student loan thing, and would rather avoid it this time, if I can.

I have a family, am a bit older (41), and have been designing and building turbine powered model jets for the last 12 years. My last project was a 17' long, 15' wingspan, C-17 Globemaster powered by 4-40lb thrust turbines.

Name:  Resized.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  173.1 KB

I did all the structural design in CAD, machined all the parts, the landing gear system has over 150 pieces, all designed and machined by myself. I built the airframe, painted it, fabricated, and installed all the systems over the course of 2 years. It was an awesome project, that went to a museum after a few test flights. It really reminded me that I want to work on full size airplanes.

So, now I am a couple weeks away from my PPL check ride, and looking for someone who will hire me (as a mechanic), with a lot of mechanical aptitude and experience on cars, just no big planes. If you know of anyone in the Colorado Springs area, please let me know.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

That's a bad ass rc model! Good luck in your search!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Holy shit man Bravo !!

Good luck !

S
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

If you're goal is to get a job in aviation maintenance and do it as quickly as possible. Take a Blue Print course. And a Sheet Metal or Composite course. Or both.

Find an entry level job. Build up your experience and tool box. As you work take additional courses. And look for jobs that can give you additional on the job training. Example doing sheet metal work at an avionics install company. Learn avionics work when not doing sheet metal work.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I'm taking the light sport route. Did the three week course at Rainbow Aviation and got my Light Sport Repairman Maintenance certificate for both airplane and weight shift as well as a Rotax course certificate. Basically, I have the equivalent of IA authority for SLSA and ELSA aircraft. Now I've connected with an existing shop as their LSA and Rotax person and have begun a marketing campaign to advertise those services. After I get the 4800 hours needed, I can recommend myself for the A&P exams.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

My last project was a 17' long, 15' wingspan, C-17 Globemaster powered by 4-40lb thrust turbines.
    Very nice! If this was your last project, what else have you built??

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

WOW, That looks AWSOME. I currently work actual C-17s and the landing gears, door systems and flight controls are my specialty.