Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default 40 yr old in texas looking to switch careers and become an A&P

Hey guys,

new to the forum and want to find out more about fulfilling a passion in the aviation field and becoming an A&P mechanic as well as learning from the others here about being an A&P. a bit of background about me, Im 41 and have spent my last 20 years in the IT field and im at a point in my life where I can switch careers and do something that ive wanted to do versus something I have to do. I have no previous aircraft experience other than flying on them but have the mechanical aptitude and the urge to do something I have always wanted to. im currently looking at schools in the Houston area and start sometime this summer or fall, then looking to go wherever I can.
    I feel like if I have to start by sweeping hangar floors, then so be it! I have no shame in getting dirty or taking the 3rd shift! Hoping I can get some good knowledge on here!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Roy
    Not having worked the flight line before. I would find out if it something you would like before spending lots of time and buttload of money.

You might realize you donít like working aircraft.

If it was me I would find any entry level job and start working. Any job that gets you inside the airport fence and inside the hangar.

You could also take a Blue Print course and either a sheet metal or composites course.

Get working and see you like it before going to school for a couple of years.