Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default 40 yr old in texas looking to switch careers and become an A&P

Hey guys,

new to the forum and want to find out more about fulfilling a passion in the aviation field and becoming an A&P mechanic as well as learning from the others here about being an A&P. a bit of background about me, Im 41 and have spent my last 20 years in the IT field and im at a point in my life where I can switch careers and do something that ive wanted to do versus something I have to do. I have no previous aircraft experience other than flying on them but have the mechanical aptitude and the urge to do something I have always wanted to. im currently looking at schools in the Houston area and start sometime this summer or fall, then looking to go wherever I can.
    I feel like if I have to start by sweeping hangar floors, then so be it! I have no shame in getting dirty or taking the 3rd shift! Hoping I can get some good knowledge on here!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Roy
    Not having worked the flight line before. I would find out if it something you would like before spending lots of time and buttload of money.

You might realize you donít like working aircraft.

If it was me I would find any entry level job and start working. Any job that gets you inside the airport fence and inside the hangar.

You could also take a Blue Print course and either a sheet metal or composites course.

Get working and see you like it before going to school for a couple of years.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

If you are sure that is what you want to do, that is, you know what sector of aviation you want to be in and not afraid of hard work, managed by a kid younger than you, in a good place financially, go for it. I had several gentlemen older than you in A&P school when I was there. Ex engineers(chem and electrical) ex auto mechanic, ex machinist.
    They had other careers, lived a little and we're passionate about aviation. Granted, they had no plans to go to an airline and preferred GA. Sounds like you could always go back to IT, so why not give it a shot?