Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default New to this forum, not to the industry.

Hello!

My entire career has been aviation. It's been 32 years since earning my A&P. The adventure has definitely been bittersweet.

My first aviation job would have been with Altair Airlines in PHL as a ramper, but the day before I was expected to report, they filed chapter 11.

Directly out of A&P school (ERAU), I went to work at the Naval Air Rework Facility in Norfolk, VA. Spent only about a month there because I didn't like the area or the work. Sheetmetal was never my gig, and the job encompassed sheetmetal work on F-14 Tomcats.

My next employer was Butler Aviation in Newark, NJ as a maintenance coordinator for Peoples Express. It wasn't a bad gig, but I wasn't working on aircraft.

When PE went out-of-business, I found work at Airwork, a turbine overhaul facility in Millville, NJ. Spend a year or two there, but again, turbine engine overhaul wasn't my dream job.

Finally landed my first enjoyable job with a charter airline named Gulf Air, based out of New Iberia, LA. I worked line maintenance for Gulf Air in BOS & PHL cutting my teeth on the B727. Loved it! Actually did some overseas charter work for Gulf Air in the country of Malta. I met my wife of 28 years (and counting) in Malta.

After Gulf Air, the "real" job started. Finally found myself with the big boys...Northwest Airlines. Spent 16 years with NWA, primarily in PHL, but I went on strike when AMFA walked in 2005, no more NWA for me.

Went to work for a Sikorsky Helicopter completions center in Pennsylvania. Spent 11 years with Sikorsky, most of which as a Technical Field Service Representative in Lafayette, LA.

Finally made it back to the airlines in 2016. I was hired as a Maintenance Supervisor by Alaska Airlines in November, 2016. I'm currently a Maintenance Controller and loving it. I'd like to think this is where my career will end in about nine or ten years. Time will tell...

The aviation industry is running on a high note again. Good luck to everyone trying to finish their careers, as well as those just starting. I'm sure it'll be a bumpy ride regardless.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

So were you at airwork when Natalie Buono and Randy Montana were there?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Yep, most of us have had a storied career. All in all it hasnít been bad.

S
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression