Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default New A&P asking for suggestion

Hi everyone! This is my first post here after following you guys for a few months.

I will graduate and get A&P from school in 3 months but still don't know exactly where I should work. I think I'm interest in commercial MRO or repair stations and would like to apply with them. Also want to know more about Avionic but don't know much how to get in it.

Does anyone have some suggestion for me? or maybe some experience with them.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

I best suggestion is to read the posts here. Do a search using keywords such as MRO or Avionics. Thousands of posts related. Avionics is more school, and a good grasp of higher mathematics.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Avionics is a weird thing. From my experience avionics guys mainly get their education from the military or they're A&Ps that slowly start picking it up... That's kinda where I'm at, the theory is pretty basic but the fact is a traditional school can't afford to train you on proline fusion or the gamin G5000. You'll be lucky to get proline 4 or primus 1000 which are both dinosaur avionics systems relatively speaking. Formal avionics training may teach you how to properly remove, replace and install a traditional MS pin. It'll teach you about deutsch connectors, amp connectors, jiffy splices. RS232 Vs. RS429 data, lan ports, etc etc etc. It would help you hit the ground running where as most of us just kinda learned it as we were going.

I'll never claim to be an avionics expert... I'm just a redneck that was a decent electrical troubleshooter in the service center and slowly moved into avionics lol

If you really want to learn avionics I'd advise getting a line MX position at some point, where you're doing everything.

Do you have an end goal career wise?
    Last edited by brettboat; 11-12-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    Avionics is a weird thing.
    Do you have an end goal career wise?
    As for the weird thing, well, yes it is. In part, what is “avionics?” We all know the term is defined as aircraft electronics, but man has that changed over the years.
    Years ago (1980-1990’s) it was three different major scope of effort:
    Line troubleshooting – Which box was bad, or system. Lots and lots of relay logic, switches, single wires and transducers. AC indicators die, DC indicators lie.
    Installation – New stuff was coming out, Loran C, Omega, and towards the end of the 1990s, this strange thing called GPS. Integration of navigation systems was 16 pole relays or rotary switches. 2 wires for left/right, 2 for nav flag, 2 for GS, 2 for GS flag, 6 or so for the course resolver, probably one for Tuned To Nav (TTN) or Tuned To Loc (TTL), and another for the annunciation.
    Bench work - VHF COM, HF COM, VOR/LOC, Glide Slope, ADF, Marker Beacon, DME, transponder, Long range navigation and they were all separate boxes. You could go in and change a tube (yes… I have) or a transistor or maybe a circuit card/module
    Now, the bench work has typically gone away. It is more reliable, faster and probably cheaper to change out the major card. In the GNS 430W/530W, there are only about 5 things a local bench shop can do, change the COM board, change the NAV board, change the GPS board, change the battery, and change the display. And that is a sunset system, the new GTNs are even more limited/just send them back to the MFG.
    What is coming now is more configuration issues. All those big relays are gone. RS-232 / ARINC 429 data busses rule the day. Do I have enough input/output ports, what is the correct “configuration” setting to get the correct labels I need to each LRU.

Do you have an end goal?
    "My life experience tells me that people talk about other people for one of four reasons: because you’re dying, because you’re dead, because you’re one of the best in your field, or because you’re one of the worst. My question for you is, why don’t I hear people talking about you?” Jason Dahl to Capt Mark Hoog

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    Do you have an end goal?
    More aircraft management and less wrench turning lol. Getting worn out working 18-24hour days all the time
    Last edited by brettboat; 11-16-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hey, thanks yall for the reply.

Well, my end goal for now is to be the director of maintenance in MRO, so I expect to start my career with avionic or heavy Mx first. Line troubleshooting is really interesting for me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Nick412 View Post
    Hey, thanks yall for the reply.

Well, my end goal for now is to be the director of maintenance in MRO, so I expect to start my career with avionic or heavy Mx first. Line troubleshooting is really interesting for me.
    Oh well none of that really matters then. Most DOMs are horrible mechanics. Get into a MX control position at a 135 and then move up the ladder. Or planning, that's another way I see alot of people move up

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hello to all of you.. I am new here and i have just completed my mechanical diploma. i want to become a Aircraft echanic and want to know about the terms and conditions

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Typhlophile View Post
    Hello to all of you.. I am new here and i have just completed my mechanical diploma. i want to become a Aircraft echanic and want to know about the terms and conditions
    In what regard?
    Terms and conditions vary depending on the company.

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression