Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Non-College Course Study Plan for an A&P

Hello,
    I'll get right to the point, I'm a history major and hoping for a combat career in the Marines. However, I want to restore classic aircraft someday and have a backup skill if times get hard, so I'd like to go for an A&P. With being a History major, I don't really have time to do the normal technical college courses for A&P so I've been going through the FAA books in my spare time. I don't have a strong technical background, but I think I'm doing alright. However, I would love to have some more help, maybe some hands on experience if I could. I recently found out you need, I believe, 18 months apiece experience working on aircraft to sit for the A&P test? I guess I have two questions, 1. Are small aircraft co-ops or rentals, or flight schools willing to let someone in to observe at least who has only read a couple of books? if not, how does one get these experience hours? 2. Is there any add-on curriculum you guys recommend, preferably with videos? Most of what I've found is only refresher courses to get you prepared for the test. Is there anything that starts you from the beginning? Also, I go to school in Pensacola, FL, if y'all know any places around there that might give me some experience.
    Thanks,
    Ian

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Lots of questions. The 18 Months is full time employment. Most places won't let an uncertificated person near a plane. Best bet, get the history done, and do this after
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

To get your A&P you need 30 months. 18 months for individual A or P.

I wouldn't even bother honestly.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I always suggest helping out at a museum. Here is one close to you:

http://www.navalaviationfoundation.o...-preservation/

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

FEAM is hiring non Certificated mechanic recently...There's a real shortage...But their compensation is in the weeds too

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I'm sure you can find someone willing to supervise your work on an aircraft...An A&P isn't needed to perform maintenance, but it is required to sign off the maintenance for return to service. You can actually work in a FBO under a repairman's certificate...or work in a instrument shop under their repair certificate.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

A museum or a place that restores and flies aircraft is a good option that was already mentioned. I helped a foundation maintain their C-54 and restore the world's only flying C-97 that's how I got my A&P, but that took 10 years. I did go to a school, but got jammed by their stupid rules, GI BILL and out of state resident rates so I was only there a semester. The foundation I joined just had me doing scutt work until I proved myself to them that I wasn't an idiot and wouldn't damage the aircraft. After that I got more responsibility and now I have my A&P and a good job 4 miles from my house working at a flight school/MRO. The 10 years was most weekends in the winter since the plane was done with its summer obligations. That was weekends and some weekdays, so the time seems a little misleading. My advice is to volunteer and KEEP A LOGBOOK of what you do and how much time you put in. I was doing that on a spreadsheet, but my computer crashed and I lost everything. Use a logbook and keep it safe. You'll be surprised how much time you get that way.
    As for your want of the Marine combat arms. As a veteran of such, i would make absolutely certain that's what you want. It's a LOT of sitting around and game playing just to keep you busy. fiefdoms and petty attitudes. It's NOT glamorous and it wrecks your body. I have constant pains in my legs from the humping and standing for hours. If I could do it over, I wouldn't join at all. If you love aviation- go into aviation. I have a sickness known as plane fever and I can't get enough. Keeping a 70 year old plane alive and flying( I also fly co-pilot on the c-54) has been amazing, being a grunt was not!! Good luck with your endeavors and ask anyone who has done whatever it is that you want to do to get the straight answer. Think of the recruiter as a used car salesman, he'll say anything to meet his quota.