Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Non-College Course Study Plan for an A&P

Hello,
    I'll get right to the point, I'm a history major and hoping for a combat career in the Marines. However, I want to restore classic aircraft someday and have a backup skill if times get hard, so I'd like to go for an A&P. With being a History major, I don't really have time to do the normal technical college courses for A&P so I've been going through the FAA books in my spare time. I don't have a strong technical background, but I think I'm doing alright. However, I would love to have some more help, maybe some hands on experience if I could. I recently found out you need, I believe, 18 months apiece experience working on aircraft to sit for the A&P test? I guess I have two questions, 1. Are small aircraft co-ops or rentals, or flight schools willing to let someone in to observe at least who has only read a couple of books? if not, how does one get these experience hours? 2. Is there any add-on curriculum you guys recommend, preferably with videos? Most of what I've found is only refresher courses to get you prepared for the test. Is there anything that starts you from the beginning? Also, I go to school in Pensacola, FL, if y'all know any places around there that might give me some experience.
    Thanks,
    Ian

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Lots of questions. The 18 Months is full time employment. Most places won't let an uncertificated person near a plane. Best bet, get the history done, and do this after
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

To get your A&P you need 30 months. 18 months for individual A or P.

I wouldn't even bother honestly.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I always suggest helping out at a museum. Here is one close to you:

http://www.navalaviationfoundation.o...-preservation/