Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Default What we have here, is failure to communicate.....

So we have a young kid at the shop,

Very Intelligent
    Personable
    Far ahead of his peers in ability ( considering the ink on his A&P is still damp )

But

Can't put his phone down
    Can't stop screwing off
    Can't stop critiquing other mechanics, both in face and to leads and supervisors.

I had a heart to heart with him, and it basically went in one ear and out the other.
    I rode his ass a little one day and he requested a shift transfer because he felt I was unjustly singling him out. ( Sigh )

Point of the telling is this,
    He reminds me of ME a million years ago, except for the phone and the screwing off part he has no idea how hard he is going to make life for himself. For the first time in my life I clearly see the whole picture. Other mechanics don't like working with him and leads and sups don't quite know what to do.

He is a great kid, but WAY too early in his career to be this hard to manage.

Ideas?

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

My first thought would be to give him some of the hard tasks, along with supervising someone else but that probably is too scary. Does your company have a "no phone" policy? Air Horn in the other ear?
    Not that I need to know, but "What changed you, other than age?"
    You know, you can take the horse to water, but you can not make him drink.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    My first thought would be to give him some of the hard tasks, along with supervising someone else but that probably is too scary. Does your company have a "no phone" policy? Air Horn in the other ear?
    Well I think Steve is a line tech still so I'd imagine a phone is required for the job... IDK how you'd do that job without a phone or radio... Hell we text more than we call at my job lol. I have customers that text us, sometimes its easier.

Steve, idk what to tell yea buddy... I never had my phone out when I was green. These days, 50% of my job is email, paperwork and phone. Have none of the other leads or supervisors pulled him aside?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

We do heavy's these days.
    No phone required. And at the newbie stage, no one NEEDS a phone.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    Well I think Steve is a line tech still so I'd imagine a phone is required for the job... IDK how you'd do that job without a phone or radio... Hell we text more than we call at my job lol. I have customers that text us, sometimes its easier.

Steve, idk what to tell yea buddy... I never had my phone out when I was green. These days, 50% of my job is email, paperwork and phone. Have none of the other leads or supervisors pulled him aside?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

What changed me, complicated question. Happened in steps, first step was a intervention at 24 or so, second notable step was in 2012 when I was wondering why people kept worrying about every little thing I did. A good man recommended me a book to read and it dramatically led to a paradigm shift and a fuller understanding of human nature. The 48 Laws of Power stuff we all know when we think about it, but puts it into perspective.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Can you make him turn in his phone in exchange for something required for work? I worked at a place that made all employees trade their phone in at the beginning of the shift for the company's proprietary electronics.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Well it would require a whole new procedure. But might be worth looking into

Thanks

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mdsalern View Post
    Can you make him turn in his phone in exchange for something required for work? I worked at a place that made all employees trade their phone in at the beginning of the shift for the company's proprietary electronics.