Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Air Transport Canada/ FAA License Questions From A Foregner

Hey fellow Aeromacs,

I was just wondering if anyone knew some of the finer details about the bilateral agreement/s between the FAA and Air Transport Canada?

I've heard that FAA A&Ps can exercise certain priveleges when it comes to maintaining Canadian registered A/C, and vice versa. I don't mind reading all the legal mumbo jumbo, but to go and find it seems to be a bit of an arduous task. So if anyone can tell me where to look and give me an explanation in laymans terms I would be ever so grateful.

Another question I would like some clarity on is whether getting a Canadian AME license by converting an FAA one is any more or less involved than converting another country's license to either TC or FAA license? As far as I know, in the case of the FAA, one has to provide proof of their qualification and also do the exams, but I stand under correction. I assume it works the same way in Canada, but assumptions can be dangerous so that's why I'm here to ask!

For the mods, I'm not entirely sure I'm posting this in the right place so please don't pour Skydrol in my coffee

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Iím no expert in the licensing stuff, but I do know that Canadian/European lic is as far above an A&P as a doctor is above a nurse practioner. So if you want to convert you have to do a lot of studying and no doubt testing.

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Looks like your basic training is waived with an A&P certificate with Inspection Authorization if obtained before January 1, 1990.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avia...formation.html

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hi Canadian AME here

If we are talking privrate a/c then an A&P can perform maintenance on a Canadian registered aircraft while it is operating in the USA, except for an annual inspection that must be done by a Canadian AME with the correct rating, there are ways to get exemptions which involves talking to Transport Canada which depending on who you get, time of day and position of the moon could be easy or impossible, for a commercial aircraft the A&P must work for a repair station that is rated for that type of aircraft the operator may require proof of training the airline I work for does require proof unless we have a contract with the repair station.

For small private US registered aircraft a Canadian AME can sign for work excluding an annual and a few other items, For Commercial N registered aircraft in Canada all i know is if the person is working for a Canadian AMO with the approval for the aircraft type it can be done.

I have also "heard" of N registered aircraft operated commercially having work done by a Canadian AME who's AMO did not have the type of aircraft on it, these were wheel changes and bird strike inspections.

To get an AMO license in Canada you have to have basic training, college course, there is a correspondence course at ICS which is a great way for foreign applicants who already have a license in their country, then you need 48 months of experience, in some cases you can have your experience from another country count or count up to 36 months depending on the country and how you can prove it, Montreal seems to be the best place to go for this, if doing the correspondence course you need to write 4 exams if going to an approved full time college just one exam the CARs, You will have to complete tasks on aircraft and have them documented and signed by a AME this is a pain, it is 70 % of the applicable tasks of CAR 566 here is the list http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avia...e-licence.html

you have to have a AME sign the not applicable tasks, if you work on small piston aircraft chapter 49 is N/A

I have to approval to complete my A&P all that s needed once the form are signed is teh exams and the oral/practical, getting to form signed was difficult the FAA inspector wanted to prove a need for it as well as past experience

I hope this helps